- Govt agrees to limit biometric data collection at airports - October 22, 2014
Bill to be watered down.
- iiNet facing new copyright battle with Hollywood - October 22, 2014
Fighting to protect customer details.
- AFP blocked websites to stop malware spread - October 22, 2014
Updated: Section 313 notices issued to target banking malware.
- Telstra launches new health division - October 22, 2014
Offers remote and rural patients access to GPs.
- Microsoft discovers new Windows zero-day exploiting PowerPoint - October 22, 2014
All Windows versions affected except Server 2003.
- Camels, sleds and trikes: Seven odd Street View vehicles - October 22, 2014
You may have seen Google Street View cameras mounted on a car mapping your neighborhood, but how about on a fishing boat? The search giant recently completed a project to photograph the coastline of Tohoku, a region in Japan devastated by the massive earthquake and tsunami of 2011. Street View came [...]
- Microsoft sued as lawsuits over employee no-poach deal mount - October 22, 2014
A court filing in May last year has attracted more class action lawsuits, alleging secret no-poaching deals among tech companies to keep salaries low. Oracle, Microsoft and Ask.com are facing suits alleging that they conspired to restrict hiring of staff. The suits appear to refer to a memo which n [...]
- China attacks lead Apple to alert users on iCloud threats - October 22, 2014
Apple has warned users about attacks on its iCloud website, after monitoring groups alleged that China had tried to intercept customer information from the service. Although China was not named, Apple said Tuesday it was “aware of intermittent organized network attacks” on its iCloud se [...]
- Symantec sees rise in high-traffic DDoS attacks - October 22, 2014
A type of distributed denial-of-service attack, DNS amplification, has risen sharply, according to new research from Symantec. The security vendor said it saw a 183 percent increase in DNS (Domain Name System) amplification attacks from January through August, which abuse recursive DNS resolvers. R [...]
- Industry can head off IoT privacy rules, former US official says - October 22, 2014
The Internet of Things is raising a host of concerns over the control of data that could lead to government regulation, but tech companies can rein in those worries on their own if they act fast, according to a former White House technology official. The kinds of information that connected devices [...]
- Alibaba’s BIG commercial deal for merchants and suppliers - October 22, 2014
Alibaba has done a deal with Aussie software company Bigcommerce to give merchants “greater global access to products and services” and integrate Bigcommerce’s “easy-to-use” e-commerce platform. Alibaba is one of the world’s biggest online storefronts for manufac [...]
- Vodafone’s dandy iPad deals: Air 2, Mini 3 - October 22, 2014
Taking advantage of its superfast 4G network and improved 3G network, Vodafone has done a deal to sell Apple’s latest and greatest iPads in its Australian stores from today with data plans of up to 25GB per month. Apple’s iPad Air 2 with Wi-Fi and Cellular and iPad mini 3 with Wi- [...]
- Win a trip to ESA space operations center: Name Comet's Site J - October 21, 2014
You only have less than a day to provide a better name for Site J, the site where Rosetta's lander Philae will land on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. If you submit the best name to the Comet's "Site J", then you will win a trip to the European Space Agency's [...]
- Seagate’s lucky Luczo gets top CEO gong - October 21, 2014
Harvard Business Review has named Seagate Chairman and CEO Steve Luczo as “one of the best-performing CEOs in the world” with a ranking of 34th overall on its global list. With some tech CEOs having to split companies in half or report dismal sales over the past few weeks, it seems unus [...]
- Paragon backs up Boot Camp - October 21, 2014
Paragon Software has spotted a gap in the market - an OS X based tool for backing up Boot Camp partitions. Here's an idea - reward your beta testers with a discount. Paragon Software is offering a beta release of its forthcoming Boot Camp Backup utility with the incentive of a 30% discount for [...]
- Asus MeMO Pad 7 review - October 21, 2014
ASUS takes another shot at the budget tablet space. The post Asus MeMO Pad 7 review appeared first on APC.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 review - October 20, 2014
Does Samsung finally have what it takes to beat the iPad? The post Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 review appeared first on APC.
- Optus renews its BlackBerry Passport - October 20, 2014
Optus has announced availability for the squarish BlackBerry Passport smartphone, although there probably won't be too much consumer demand for this one... The post Optus renews its BlackBerry Passport appeared first on APC.
- MSI Nightblade Z97 review - October 17, 2014
Craig Simms sharpens his blades in the night. Which might explain the bleeding... The post MSI Nightblade Z97 review appeared first on APC.
- New model Mac Mini revealed: Is cheaper and faster than before - October 17, 2014
It may have taken two years, but Apple has finally updated its Mac Mini. Paul Taylor walks you through all the improvements. The post New model Mac Mini revealed: Is cheaper and faster than before appeared first on APC.
- Procrastinator? Blame it on your genes - April 22, 2014
New research suggests the tax office should expand the list of acceptable explanations for procrastinators' yearly extension requests and late tax filings. Two possibilities: "I was born this way" and "failure to evolve".
- Man flu? When 'the flu' is really just a cold - April 22, 2014
Contrary to popular (female) opinion, you can have all the symptoms of the flu without being infected.
- Aboriginal scientific achievements recognised - April 22, 2014
While Gallileo thought the moon had nothing to do with the tides, the Yolngu people from the Northern Territory knew better.
- NSW to release ‘super app’ - October 22, 2014
NSW will release a super app to transact government services.
- IBM woes point to fresh overhaul - October 21, 2014
IBM is showing signs of needing another overhaul.
- Alibaba stock sale lifts Yahoo profit - October 21, 2014
YAHOO quarterly profit has surged to $7.8bn.
- Nadella gets $96m package - October 21, 2014
MICROSOFT has given its new chief executive Satya Nadella a pay package worth $96m.
- Apple’s iCloud in China attack - October 21, 2014
APPLE’S iCloud service for users in mainland China has been hit by a “massive” attack that could allow perpetrators to intercept personal data.
- Indo jets ‘force Oz plane to land’ - October 22, 2014
TWO Indonesian Sukhoi fighter jets have intercepted an Australian civilian plane and forced it to land for flying through Indonesian airspace.
- Taste the difference with PC gingerbread - October 22, 2014
A MELBOURNE cafe has defended turning the traditional gingerbread cookie into an ‘organic, genderless gingerbread figure’ as the PC-snack triggers an online storm.
- Our spring city sizzle is about to fizzle - October 22, 2014
UPDATE: MELBOURNE’s early taste of summer in spring will end abruptly when a cool change brings possible rain and thunderstorms tonight.
- Rosie says the system let her son down - October 22, 2014
THREE weeks before Luke Batty's brutal murder, his killer dad slipped through the fingers of four police officers because of a system failure.
- Victim’s sons ’devastated’ by loss - October 22, 2014
HIS body was found wrapped in plastic in a Bali rice field after an alleged execution ordered by his wife. It’s a far cry from Robert Ellis’s former life in Melbourne.
- Hackers target phones to get bank info - October 22, 2014
A report has found hackers are increasingly targeting mobile phones to get into people's bank accounts.
- Hollywood hunts illegal Aussie downloaders - October 22, 2014
Dallas Buyers Club filmmakers are hunting Australians who downloaded or shared the movie illegally.
- IBM pays $US1.5b to shed its chip division - October 22, 2014
IBM is paying $US1.5 billion ($A1.62 billion) to Globalfoundries in order to shed its costly chip division.
- IKEA makes online push - October 22, 2014
Swedish home wares giant IKEA has announced it will be making a push for online expansion.
- Facebook sues law firms - October 22, 2014
Facebook is suing several law firms that represented a man who claimed he owned half of the social network.