- Telstra to buy Pacnet for $857m - December 22, 2014
Gets 46,500km of undersea cable.
- Core Qld Health system could turn 30 before it is replaced - December 22, 2014
Parliamentary committee still holds fears for HBCIS.
- Real-time tracking arrives for Sunshine Coast buses - December 22, 2014
New app for iOS, Android.
- BlackBerry to build a self-destructing phone with Boeing - December 21, 2014
- Telstra signs $390m NBN design contract - December 19, 2014
Works to finalise separate construction, maintenance contract.
- Google Chrome considers marking all unencrypted websites as insecure - December 22, 2014
Chrome security engineers have proposed that all websites that don’t encrypt traffic be marked as insecure by browsers. The proposal, which was floated earlier this month, would dramatically change the visual signals in a browser’s address bar, which now shows an indicator—a &ldqu [...]
- Sony says The Interview will still be released, but not necessarily on Crackle - December 22, 2014
Sony still plans to release The Interview in some form after hackers pressured the studio and theater owners into dropping the film. The studio has told the Wall Street Journal and other news outlets that it's evaluating its options for the over-the-top comedy, which stars James Franco and Set [...]
- Simpler M2M connectivity promised as Sierra Wireless buys Swedish company - December 22, 2014
Sierra Wireless has acquired Swedish company Wireless Maingate to build a more complete machine-to-machine communications platform and better connect cars, industrial devices, smart meters and other sensors. Together, the two companies will develop a platform that offers connectivity and device man [...]
- Cybercrime group steals millions from Russian banks, targets US and European retailers - December 22, 2014
A sophisticated group of cybercriminals has stolen over US$25 million by hacking into the infrastructure of numerous financial institutions in Russia and former Soviet Union countries, as well as into point-of-sale systems belonging to U.S. and European retailers. Researchers from Russian cybercrim [...]
- Snapchat cracks down on Windows Phone imitator apps - December 22, 2014
Snapchat doesn’t offer a Windows Phone app, and the popular messaging platform doesn’t want third parties building Windows Phone apps for its service either. At least for the time being. Over the weekend, a number of imitation Snapchat apps on the Windows Phone Store disappeared—a [...]
- Video: See fiery plunge of NASA's Orion space capsule - December 22, 2014
The U.S. space agency has released a video showing its Orion space capsule descending back to Earth on its first test flight. The first test flight, launched earlier this month on December 5, 2014, was a near-perfect flight, all with systems running smoothly throughout the mission. &n [...]
- Presto’s Christmas movie promo so you join pronto - December 22, 2014
Presto’s Christmas movie selection is one way the promise of a white Christmas in Australia’s summer can be fulfilled - is it tempting enough? Foxtel’s hoped-for Netflix killer, Presto, which recently joined forces with Channel 7 to deliver TV shows from Foxtel and Seven’s T [...]
- FileMaker's rapid development of safety inspection tool - December 18, 2014
Apple subsidiary FileMaker software has helped conduct independent workplace-safety inspections for nearly 1,000 garment factories in Bangladesh in just six months. According to Filemaker, a customised solution for iOS – created in just three weeks – reduced reporting time by as much as [...]
- Foresight initiates startups IP ‘value’ program - December 18, 2014
Silicon-Valley based intellectual property (IP) strategy and startup advisory firm, Foresight Valuation Group, has announced a Startup-IP Program (STR-IP), which it says is aimed at helping technology startups build an IP portfolio that is aligned with their business goals and that would enhance th [...]
- Fujitsu, Horizon Power collaborate in indigenous ICT traineeship program - December 18, 2014
Ashlyn Hassett, from the Kimberley indigenous community of Kalumburu and a Year 11 student at the Presbyterian Ladies College (PLC) in Peppermint Grove, Perth, has received a 'Student Work Traineeship Program' completion certificate from Fujitsu. The young student undertook a two week ind [...]
- MSI X99S Gaming 7 review - December 21, 2014
The MSI X99S Gaming 7 is a more-affordable option for building a performance gaming PC. The post MSI X99S Gaming 7 review appeared first on APC.
- Gigabyte X99-UD3 review - December 20, 2014
The Gigabyte X99-UD3 is rock solid and reasonably priced. The post Gigabyte X99-UD3 review appeared first on APC.
- Gigabyte X99-SOC Force review - December 19, 2014
The Gigabyte X99-SOC Force pushes your hardware to the extreme. The post Gigabyte X99-SOC Force review appeared first on APC.
- Power In IP Numbers – Tribler the file sharing of the future - December 19, 2014
Anonymous and decentralised BitTorrent site Tribler by reasearchers at Delft University of Technology, releases new version The post Power In IP Numbers – Tribler the file sharing of the future appeared first on APC.
- ASUS X99 Deluxe review - December 18, 2014
The ASUS X99 Deluxe packs in oodles of extras. At a price. The post ASUS X99 Deluxe review appeared first on APC.
- Procrastinator? Blame it on your genes - April 22, 2014
New research suggests the tax office should expand the list of acceptable explanations for procrastinators' yearly extension requests and late tax filings. Two possibilities: "I was born this way" and "failure to evolve".
- Man flu? When 'the flu' is really just a cold - April 22, 2014
Contrary to popular (female) opinion, you can have all the symptoms of the flu without being infected.
- Aboriginal scientific achievements recognised - April 22, 2014
While Gallileo thought the moon had nothing to do with the tides, the Yolngu people from the Northern Territory knew better.
- Raising dials $55bn for Xiaomi - December 21, 2014
XIAOMI is raising more than $US1bn in its latest round of funding, valuing the Chinese smartphone maker at more than $US45bn.
- Shoppers’ credit numbers hacked - December 21, 2014
OFFICE supply company Staples says criminals stole personal information from as many as 1.16 million payment cards.
- Google seeks car partners - December 21, 2014
GOOGLE is looking for car-industry partners to bring its vision of a self-driving car to market within the next five years.
- China net giants chase content - December 21, 2014
CHINESE internet companies are battling with each other for content and struggling to persuade consumers that it is worth paying for.
- US asks China for help on Kim - December 21, 2014
THE US has asked China to help block cyber attacks from North Korea as it weighs a response to the hack of Sony Pictures.
- The one travel hack you should know - December 22, 2014
IT’S a little bit sneaky but if you use this tactic when booking overseas flights, you could stand to save a truckload of money.
- Floral tributes removed ahead of rain - December 22, 2014
NSW Premier Mike Baird has made an emotional statement upon the news that the hundreds of floral tributes for the Sydney siege victims will be removed.
- Did US forces shoot down MH370? - December 22, 2014
A SECOND senior airline industry source has suggested there is more to the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 than we have been told.
- Tributes to blues legend Cocker - December 22, 2014
RINGO Starr and Paul McCartney lead tributes to Grammy Award-winning singer Joe Cocker after he loses his battle with lung cancer.
- One item key to family’s survival - December 22, 2014
CLEVER tactics have emerged as the key to a missing family’s survival while trapped in the outback for 10 days, but there was one that played a vital role.
- ISS crew gets new ratchet via email - December 20, 2014
The ISS crew has crafted a new tool in space using their specially designed Zero-G 3D printer.
- Drones take off as US Christmas must-haves - December 20, 2014
Thousands of drone fans, young and old, have turned out at a recent show in Los Angeles.
- Sony denies surrender, still plans release - December 20, 2014
Sony Pictures boss Michael Lynton says the Hollywood studio hasn't 'caved' by cancelling The Interview .
- Apple suppliers accused of poor treatment - December 19, 2014
Workers in Chinese factories making Apple products are reportedly exhausted and being poorly treated.
- Regular TV still dominates gadgets - December 18, 2014
Australians are spending more time watching regular TV despite the growing presence of mobile devices.