- Greens to re-introduce Get A Warrant Bill - December 13, 2013
Intelligence agency access to metadata increases in 2013.
- NBN service terms finally get green light - December 12, 2013
Competition regulator approves revised SAU text.
- NZ ISPs and telcos standardise product info - December 12, 2013
To feature independent broadband performance testing.
- 1Gbps over copper standard fast-tracked - December 12, 2013
Gear to appear in 2015.
- QUT patent database attracts Gates' attention - December 12, 2013
- Qualcomm will promote COO to replace Paul Jacobs as CEO - December 13, 2013
Chip maker Qualcomm will promote current COO Steve Mollenkopf to the role of CEO next year. He will replace long-standing CEO Paul Jacobs, son of one of the company’s founders, Irwin Jacobs, the company said Friday. Steve Mollenkopf The move comes hours after Bloomberg, quoting anonymous sour [...]
- Google's new Tips site helps you dig deeper into Android, Gmail, Chrome, and more - December 13, 2013
If you feel like you don't have enough Google in your life, Google wants to help out with that. The search giant has launched new website called “Google Tips.” It's full of quick pointers for making better use of Google services such as Chrome, Google+, Google Maps, Google Dri [...]
- Bing boosts Satori on eightfold path to search englightenment - December 13, 2013
It’s not yet 2014, but Microsoft is already making a resolution for the new year: make Bing’s Satori knowledge repository equal to Google’s Knowledge Graph. Microsoft recently announced improvements to Satori (a Zen Buddhist term for enlightenment) that will bring more data front- [...]
- Blocked! User outrage spurs Twitter to reverse policy change - December 13, 2013
Twitter on Thursday faced a wave of backlash after it changed its blocking policies. The company quickly backtracked.
- Microsoft joins group seeking to replace passwords - December 13, 2013
Microsoft has joined the FIDO Alliance, a group attempting to craft industry standards that reduce reliance on passwords, long regarded as a weak point in Web security. Launched in July 2012, FIDO, which stands for Fast IDentity Online, is hoping its specifications for security devices and browser [...]
- 2014 BMW M4 Coupé drivable today - December 12, 2013
If you have been enjoying the recently release Gran Turismo 6 on PlayStation 3 now is your opportunity to enhance the game with a car yet to be released to the real world. Until now, the BMW M4 Coupé has only been shown publicly as a ‘concept’, but thanks to a collaboration with [...]
- Geminid meteor shower peaking December 13-14, 2013 - December 12, 2013
The Geminid meteor shower is expected to peak Friday evening, December 13th, and Saturday morning, December 14, 2013, but the nearly full Moon may put a damper on prime observations. Other times before and after this date may provide just-as-good viewing for these meteors. The Moon becomes f [...]
- Canon to host on Fujitsu cloud - December 12, 2013
Canon Australia will host its Therefore Online workflow and information management solution on Fujitsu’s cloud platform, paving the way or a new suite of cloud-based offerings that will allow the delivery of the applications to consumers on a cost-effective subscription model. Therefore Onlin [...]
- Pitney Bowes, Twitter sign location intelligence licensing deal - December 12, 2013
Global IT solutions company Pitney Bowes has sealed an agreement with Twitter to provide Location Intelligence Solutions for Twitter’s mobile platform. Pitney Bowes (NYSE: PBI) Senior Vice President and General Manager Location Intelligence James Buckley said Twitter will use the company&rsqu [...]
- Financial markets lifting investment in IT - December 12, 2013
Beset by an increasing number of rules and regulations, global financial markets are forecast to increase spending on IT infrastructure next year, according to market analysts. In a global report just published, Ovum says that 2014 will be a year of “foundational investment for the financial [...]
- Western Digital My Book Live Duo review - December 3, 2013
Simplicity from the get-go.
- QNAP TS-220 NAS review - December 2, 2013
Packed to the clouds with features.
- Seagate Central review - November 22, 2013
Ready to go right out of the box.
- APC magazine launches a new iPad app with reduced subscription price! - November 19, 2013
We've developed a new iPad app, so here's a note on how to switch over to it.
- How to tweet with your Arduino - November 15, 2013
An Arduino sending tweets? Absolutely! Darren Yates shows you how to get your Arduino its own Twitter account and tweeting automatically.
- Crave giveaway: V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones - December 13, 2013
The V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones in white silver. This week's winner gets their color of choice. (Credit: Sarah Tew/CNET) Congrats to Brenda S. of Dunn, N.C., for winning two Powerocks Magicstick portable batteries in last week's giveaway, and to Jon T. of Red Bank, N.J., for winning [...]
- Steve Jobs document fetches $40K at auction - December 13, 2013
The black-and-white photo from 1976 shows Steve Jobs (right) with co-founder Steve Wozniak. In the foreground Jobs gives a talk in January 2010. (Credit: James Martin/CNET) It's not every day that someone throws down more than $40,000 for a short document, but that is exactly what Tristar Prod [...]
- NSA agents are posing as Santa Claus, sings ACLU - December 12, 2013
One woman fights back against a snooping NSAnta. (Credit: ACLU/YouTube screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET) It's been a year in which the alleged needs of security have made many people feel more insecure. So now as we all prepare to gather round with our families, the American Civil Liberties [...]
- No filter: One man's Instagram pics lead to 142 felony charges - December 12, 2013
The image that especially interested the authorities. (Credit: WPBF-TV screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET) I am blue in the face. But it doesn't matter how many times you tell people -- especially criminals -- to be very careful about what they post on social networks. They don't listen. [...]
- Interactive LED choir spreads holiday cheer - December 12, 2013
(Credit: Video screenshot by Michelle Starr/CNET Australia) An installation in Sydney, Australia's Pitt Street Mall consists of person-shaped, LED-filled sculptures that use proximity sensors to sing beautiful music when people pass by. Called the Infinite Choir, it consists of two rows of abs [...]
- Connor Johnson, 6, petitions White House to save NASA programs - December 12, 2013
Connor Johnson has wanted to be an astronaut since he was three. He isn't backing down without a fight.
- Vodafone CEO to head up NBN Co - December 12, 2013
The man hired by Vodafone to turn its business around now in charge of making the NBN profitable.
- Epson chief takes swipe at copycat tech giants - December 11, 2013
Epson president accuses tech companies such as Samsung and Apple of copying each other, saying most of the components inside their gadgets are the same.
- NSA uses Google cookies to find hacking targets - December 11, 2013
The NSA is secretly using cookies and location data to pinpoint targets for government hacking and to bolster surveillance.
- Future technology is bright, says Intel guru - December 11, 2013
There is something evocative about someone who has 'chief evangelist and futurist' on their business card.
- Dell ready to take on world again - December 13, 2013
MICHAEL Dell is pushing his newly privatised company, Dell World, to the front of the rapidly evolving technology market.
- Ziggy vows to tame NBN costs - December 13, 2013
NBN Co chairman says productivity will need to rise on the infrastructure project after major changes to broadband policy.
- Nokia in Android push: reports - December 13, 2013
NOKIA is understood to be developing an Android phone as an entry-level device.
- Instagram launches selective sharing feature - December 12, 2013
INSTAGRAM is letting users selectively share photos and videos with up to 15 people.
- Work better in Apple's China factories - December 12, 2013
A LABOUR group monitoring three Chinese factories that make Apple products says working conditions have steadily improved.
- Bosses fear new bully dob-in laws - December 14, 2013
BOSSES fear staff blackmail over new powers imposed by the former Labor government for workers to dob in an office bully.
- Army Skype sex watchers expelled - December 13, 2013
EXCLUSIVE: The five army cadets who saw a mate have sex with an unsuspecting female cadet on Skype will be expelled from the Defence Force.
- Smith century puts Aussies on top - December 13, 2013
STEVE Smith hoisted Australia onto his shoulders with a fine unbeaten century on the opening day of the Third Test.
- Nigella, Saatchi 'lied under oath' - December 13, 2013
ONE of the personal assistants accused of defrauding Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi has accused them of lying under oath as she gave evidence.
- Our power rises more than NSW, SA - December 13, 2013
VICTORIA faces higher electricity price rises than NSW and South Australia, despite the state being touted as the world's most competitive retail market.
- Mozilla in push for open mobile system - December 13, 2013
Mozilla is pushing for open mobile standards in its effort to challenge Google and Apple operating systems.
- US moves to allow phone use in planes - December 13, 2013
US regulators have opened the door to allowing mobile phone use on aeroplanes.
- Space Station cooling breakdown - December 13, 2013
NASA is trying to figure out the cause of a fault in the cooling system at the International Space Station.
- Instagram unveils private messaging - December 12, 2013
Instagram has unveiled a service allowing its 150 million members to send private photo and video messages.
- 'Golden Tweet' the most echoed in 2013 - December 12, 2013
A message acknowledging the death of actor Cory Monteith was the most echoed tweet this year.